Need help setting up network interface on VLAN

Sparkytech

Jan 23, 2016
I changed my server from ESXi back to Proxmox, and need some assistance setting up the network interfaces. My server has (2) NIC cards: eno1 is connected to an untagged VLAN port on my switch, and is the connection I use to access the Proxmox GUI at 10.10.0.200. Eno2 is the "new" interface that I just setup. Eno2 is connected to a vlan trunk port on my switch, and my VMs and containers receive the proper IP address from their assigned VLAN. Currently I can access the GUI at the 10.10.0.200 address when I am on my 10.10.x.x network. When I connect my PC to the 10.12.x.x network, I can access the VMs and LXC containers on the .12 network/vlan, but not the GUI, and cannot ping 10.12.0.200. Am I misunderstanding my setup on eno2/vmbr1 or am I doing something wrong trying to access the GUI at 10.12.0.200? Normally, I would keep tinkering and testing until I get it to work, but I don't want to get locked out.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

iface eno2 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 10.10.0.200/24
gateway 10.10.0.1
bridge-ports eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
address 10.12.0.200/24
bridge-ports eno2
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094

I changed my server from ESXi back to Proxmox, and need some assistance setting up the network interfaces. My server has (2) NIC cards: eno1 is connected to an untagged VLAN port on my switch, and is the connection I use to access the Proxmox GUI at 10.10.0.200. Eno2 is the "new" interface that I just setup. Eno2 is connected to a vlan trunk port on my switch, and my VMs and containers receive the proper IP address from their assigned VLAN. Currently I can access the GUI at the 10.10.0.200 address when I am on my 10.10.x.x network. When I connect my PC to the 10.12.x.x network, I can access the VMs and LXC containers on the .12 network/vlan, but not the GUI, and cannot ping 10.12.0.200. Am I misunderstanding my setup on eno2/vmbr1 or am I doing something wrong trying to access the GUI at 10.12.0.200? Normally, I would keep tinkering and testing until I get it to work, but I don't want to get locked out.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

iface eno2 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 10.10.0.200/24
gateway 10.10.0.1
bridge-ports eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
address 10.12.0.200/24
bridge-ports eno2
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094
Is 10.10.0 setup on its own vlan and is the routing setup on it? I was thinking u might be pinging from a .12 device and there’s no svi configured…on your physical switch long shot

The 10.10.0.x network is on the default VLAN on my switch (VLAN1). I have rules in my firewall to allow VLAN1 to VLAN12 and vice versa (for testing purposes). What I am trying to accomplish is to move everything off of the default VLAN (including PVE).

Do you have any joy, migrating off the default LAN. Also I having some issue accessing PVE from one of my VLANS sounded like the same issue you experienced.. I found once i removed the static address on VMBR1 I was able to access PVE from the VLAN (which happened to be on the same network as VMVB1) not sure why that now works. If any one has any idea please share as it seem odd that it worked :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!