Need help, pve error:

wardrive

May 23, 2012
TASK ERROR: create failed - no such volume group 'pve' - Did I miss something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

The information is a little scarce. On what PVE version are you (pveversion -v)? How is your storage configured? Does a volume group exist (vgdisplay)?

The information is a little scarce. On what PVE version are you (pveversion -v)? How is your storage configured? Does a volume group exist (vgdisplay)?

1. pveversion -v:
corosync: 2.4.2-pve3
libqb0: 1.0.1-1
pve-cluster: 5.0-15
qemu-server: 5.0-17
pve-firmware: 2.0-3
libpve-common-perl: 5.0-20
libpve-guest-common-perl: 2.0-13
libpve-access-control: 5.0-7
libpve-storage-perl: 5.0-16
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.8-3
vncterm: 1.5-2
pve-docs: 5.1-12
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.9.1-2
ve-container: 2.0-17
pve-firewall: 3.0-3
pve-ha-manager: 2.0-3
ksm-control-daemon: 1.2-2
glusterfs-client: 3.8.8-1
lxc-pve: 2.1.0-2
lxcfs: 2.0.7-pve4
criu: 2.11.1-1~bpo90
novnc-pve: 0.6-4
smartmontools: 6.5+svn4324-1
zfsutils-linux: 0.7.2-pve1~bpo90

2. vgdisplay:
--- Volume group ---
VG Name pve
System ID
Format lvm2
Metadata Areas 1
Metadata Sequence No 17
VG Access read/write
VG Status resizable
MAX LV 0
Cur LV 6
Open LV 3
Max PV 0
Cur PV 1
Act PV 1
VG Size 931.26 GiB
PE Size 4.00 MiB
Total PE 238402
Alloc PE / Size 234359 / 915.46 GiB
Free PE / Size 4043 / 15.79 GiB
VG UUID zc76mX-ZI7I-A3Gz-03WD-t6y9-nNty-U8JV29

I have 2 nodes, MAIN is configured with LVM and the 2nd node is configured with RAIDZ, I am having trouble with the 2nd node giving out that error.

NOTE: when I do the command 'pvedisplay' on the second node, it doesn't output anything, but clearly in the GUI there are 2 available local lvm storages visible.

If you need any information just tell me, I'd be happy to give you any output that is needed.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Please paste the '/etc/pve/storage.cfg'. Please use the code tags (under the plus) for better visibility.

Please paste the '/etc/pve/storage.cfg'. Please use the code tags (under the plus) for better visibility.

Code:
etc/pve/storage.cfg Output: ( 2nd node )
dir: local                                                                                           
path /var/lib/vz                                                                             
content iso,backup,vztmpl                                                                                                                                                         lvmthin: local-lvm                                                                                   
thinpool data                                                                               
vgname pve                                                                                   
content images,rootdir                                                                                                                                                            nfs: SAN215                                                                                         
export /mnt/VMs                                                                             
path /mnt/pve/SAN215                                                                         
server 192.168.0.215                                                                         
content images                                                                               
maxfiles 1                                                                                   
options vers=3                                                                                                                                                                    nfs: DataStore160                                                                                   
export /mnt/VMs                                                                             
path /mnt/pve/DataStore160                                                                   
server 192.168.0.160                                                                         
content images                                                                               
maxfiles 1                                                                                   
options vers=3

Best regards,

NOTE: when I do the command 'pvedisplay' on the second node, it doesn't output anything, but clearly in the GUI there are 2 available local lvm storages visible.
Hi,
if you have storage, which aren't installed/visible on all nodes (like the lvm storage pve) you must set the storage to this nodes only where the storage excist. (gui Datacenter storage edit nodes)

Udo

Hi,
if you have storage, which aren't installed/visible on all nodes (like the lvm storage pve) you must set the storage to this nodes only where the storage excist. (gui Datacenter storage edit nodes)

Udo

All the storages from all nodes are visible, I'm actually quite puzzled why I can't make a VM or CT on the 2nd nodes local lvm or storage. I'm attacing a screenshot of my cluster for your reference.

au730w.png
[/IMG]
au730w.png
[/IMG]

The problem is with the SLAVE171 storage, can't create ct or vm
Thanks for replying.

All the storages from all nodes are visible, I'm actually quite puzzled why I can't make a VM or CT on the 2nd nodes local lvm or storage. I'm attacing a screenshot of my cluster for your reference.

au730w.png
[/IMG]
au730w.png
[/IMG]

The problem is with the SLAVE171 storage, can't create ct or vm
Thanks for replying.
Hi,
the storage is on all nodes visible because you have configured the storage for all nodes.
If Main170 are installed on lvm, select local-lvm -> edit -> nodes: select Main170 on nodes.
Add the zfs-storage from slave171 and select slave171 as node for this storage.
zfs-entry:
Code:
zfspool: local-zfs
        pool rpool/data
        content rootdir,images
        nodes SLAVE171
        sparse 1
Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!