Need help: Multi OS Guest setup

mrish

Apr 7, 2023
Hi,

Noob here, so please be gentle :)

I had the following requirements:
  • MacOS: To run simpler apps for browsing, email, Python programming, etc.
  • Linux: To experiment with multiple distros and perform Python development. This requires a good CPU but GPU is not needed.
  • Win 11: For casual gaming.

Initially, I experimented with a 'dual-boot' setup as below using intel 12th Gen 12400, 16GB RAM, Nvidia 1650 Super(bought for $$$ during the 'mining-menace' times):
  1. Bare-metal installation of Windows 11 on a 512GB SSD NVME SSD for casual (1080p/1440p) gaming.
  2. Proxmox installation on second 120GB SSD as the boot-drive and additional 240GB SSD for VMs to run linux & MacOS distros

While this kinda served my purpose, it isn't ideal for reasons below:
  • No raid configuration for Proxmox boot drive.
  • Risk of some Windows update corrupting my entire Proxmox boot setup some day (I heard this the main reason people perform the new-way installs using Proxmox).
  • No ECC RAM
  • Pls. let me know if there are others :)

I have the following queries:
  • For 'A' above: Would it be enough to use another identical SSD to add RAID 1 configuration for Proxmox boot? Do I also need to consider RAID separately for storage drives running the VMs?
  • For 'B' above: Is it possible to passthrough an entire SSD & Nvidia GPU to Proxmox, only for running Windows 11? If yes, what kind of performance hit should I expect in percentage terms? 5-10%?
  • For 'C': Is it an absolute necessity to go with ECC RAM?
  • As this was an experiment, I want to start with a clean slate again, so please share your recommendations for:
  1. Processor - I am considering 12th/13th Gen i7, can go with Ryzen as well
  2. GPU - Not sure, but I experienced issues with Nvidia on linux.
  3. RAM
Cheers,

I do exactly that. You need a cpu/motherboard with built in graphics for proxmox. Add two extra gpu and an extra usb card. So you need at least three spare slots. I then pass through the GPU and the USB card to the Windows machine and a GPU and the built-in USB ports to the Mac and/or Linux. I use a K VM switch between the two. So any one time I can have two out of three running using passthrough and the others I use no machine to connect as remote desktop. Passthrough is straightforward providing you're not trying to use the host GPU.

Reactions: mrish
I do exactly that. You need a cpu/motherboard with built in graphics for proxmox.
Ok. So, onboard graphics on intel/Ryzen processor should suffice?
Add two extra gpu and an extra usb card. So you need at least three spare slots. I then pass through the GPU and the USB card to the Windows machine and a GPU and the built-in USB ports to the Mac and/or Linux. I use a K VM switch between the two. So any one time I can have two out of three running using passthrough and the others I use no machine to connect as remote desktop. Passthrough is straightforward providing you're not trying to use the host GPU.
Cool! I understood the part of 2 GPUs - one for Windows & the other for Mac/Linux. But why do I need the USB card? If my motherboard has a number of USB ports, isn't there an option to share them between Windows & Mac/Linux?

Also, what's your recommendation for a basic GPU that could be used with Mac/Linux under proxmox, considering most of my programming and office loads shall be CPU-oriented.

I'm still awaiting a response on hardware choices from fellow members, leaning towards this one:
- i5 13600K (Ryzen platform costs are higher)
- Radeon 6700XT (Would provide 2K gaming and also overcome Nvidia driver limitations, in case I use it for Steam/Linux gaming instead of Windows
- 32GB DDR4 'non-ECC' RAM
- MSI Pro B660M A DDR4 WiFi
- CoolerMaster MWE750 Gold

Cheers,

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!