need help explaining problem I have with my install

jim.bond.9862

Renowned Member
Apr 17, 2015
Hi all.
I have been having issues wit my home server setup that forced me to do major upgrade of the hardware, yet still not 100% resolved.

my issues are simply that my server will not boot on any "Linux 4.15.18" kernel.
current Proxmox is updated to VE 5.2-8.
last kernel is "Linux 4.15.18-4-pve" previous "Linux 4.15.18-1-pve"

but when using either the boot stops on blinking cursor and that's all.
Linux 4.15.17-2-pve kernel boots just fine.

this is all ZFS setup. system is on mirrored zfs SSD

I have 3 zfs pools used for local shared storage (I have single server at home so it pulls double duty. a Proxmox server that is running a file server in LXC container where the zfs pool is bind mounted into it and file server shares the pools storage to network)

so my questions are
#1. how the best way to troubleshoot and fix this.

I used gide from here "https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/blue-screen-with-5-1.37664/page-5" to set default boot to the "Linux 4.15.17-2-pve" kernel

but is it a good option?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!