[SOLVED] Need help connecting VM to Internet

Homelab

Apr 3, 2020
Hello,

I recently installed Proxmox on my system and used NAT in order to connect the management interface to WiFi without Ethernet because my router is in a difficult spot to bridge the connection. I can access the management interface but when I try to boot Ubuntu in a VM, it doesn't get internet. Is there a way to fix this?

My /etc/network/interfaces

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp11s0 inet manual

auto wlp2s0b1
iface wlp2s0b1 inet static
        wpa-ssid "******"
        wpa-psk "**********"
        address 192.168.0.25
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.0.1

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.31
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        bridge-ports wlp2s0b1
        bridge-stop off
        bridge-fd 0
        post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
        post-up iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s '192.168.0.0/24' -o wlp2s0b1 -j MASQUERADE
        post-down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s '192.168.0.0/24' -o wlp2s0b1 -j MASQUERADE

Hi!

What does the network configuration of your Ubuntu VM look like?
You said your VM cannot reach the internet. Can you reach the VM in your LAN or the VM reach anything else in the LAN? Try tcpdump on the various interfaces.

Additionally, is there a chance to connect your server to your router via cable at least temporarily? This might be helpful to troubleshoot as there can be difficulties combining wifi and bridges.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!