[SOLVED] Need eth0 in Linux VM

StephanKrieger

Sep 5, 2018
Hello together,

i am from germany and new with proxmox.
I just convert a vhdx into the PVE and the VM works fine.

But the VM is preconfigured and so i need the network interface eth0.

How can i use it? I only see vmbr0 in the settings.
Or do I overlook something?

Best Regards
Stephan

Is the converted VHDX Windows? Linux? Additional info would help. :)

Presuming you converted the VHDX to a KVM, typically the ip address in a KVM has to be configured manually. Use the Proxmox web browser interface, use the Console option, and you should see the virtual system. Log into the system and configure the network interface.

Consider installing the virtio drivers. When the virtio drivers are installed Proxmox can communicate with the KVM directly and the web browser interface will display the network interface information.

I hope that helps. :)

Oh sure... it is a CentOS Linux System.

And you are right... i converted the VHDX to a KVM, but the CentOS is preconfigured.
I just can type in the MAC, IP and so on... then the VM wants to restart eth0 but can't find it.
I can't directly configure the network.

Is there a chance to get eth0 in the VM? Or could it only be vmbr0?

Use the Proxmox web browser interface, select the virtual system in the left-side menu tree, use the Console button, and you should see the virtual system. Log into the system and configure the network interface.

For CentOS 7 the network interface configuration will be stored in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/. The file name will include ifcfg-.

If this is a CentOS 7 system and you specifically want to use the eth0 interface name, add the net.ifnames=0 parameter to /etc/default/grub: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX= and run grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg. Ensure the CentOS config file is named ifcfg-eth0. Reboot the CentOS system.

You will need to configure the virtual system to bind to a Proxmox host network bridge interface (vmbr0, etc.). The CentOS system must use a static IP address that is on the same subnet as the Proxmox bridge.

Sure @upnort... i know this way to configure the system. But as i said... i am not able to configure this.

The CentOS 6 System ist preconfigured and i have no rights to access the operation system himself.
There are just some informations i can fill in and then the system itself want to restart the network interface eth0.
But it seems for me that CentOS cannot access eth0 over the network bridge.

Don't know if i explain it this time correctly... i do my best ;)

But maybe a simple question: Is the bridged network directly eth0 on CentOS?

On the Proxmox host the virtual bridge vmbr0 is binded to the physical network interface eth0. The vmbr0 bridge must be configured with an IP address, mask, and gateway.

All guest systems that are binded to vmbr0 must use an IP address that is on that same subnet. The mask defines the range of the subnet. Often that is 255.255.255.0, but could also be something like 255.255.255.240.

For containers this is all configurable from the Proxmox command line or web browser interface. For KVMs the guest system's networking must be configured inside the KVM. Use the Console button to access the CentOS system. The Console option provides a VNC or SPICE interface and will look just like an actual display monitor. Log in and configure the interface for the same subnet.

I hope that helps.

OK... I restarted the whole system and now it works... strange.
Thanks for your help... hope i can access now everything on the KVM.

Depending on the used software internally, RHEL-based systems (5/6) tend to use udev rules that hardwire network interfaces, so in order to change the name, you need to change files on the system itself. This is easy if you boot a live linux, mount the disk and change stuff.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!