Need Client SOftware

Discussion in 'Proxmox VE: Installation and configuration' started by Stak1993, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Stak1993

Stak1993 New Member

Hello, everyone! So I am super new to Proxmox and well virtulization in general. I am more of a network engineer. So I have setup Proxmox on an old R710. I have the complete Proxmox install and the VM is up and running, so no issues there... well no issues anymore. Lots of issues before this post.

So what I am looking for is this, I want to be able to serve a windows 10 VM to my wife's laptop. Hopefully using a USB drive or DVD to boot. So I have used thinclients in the past and the experience I am trying to create is one where she would turn on her laptop and be presented with a login screen and once she passes her credentials it would log her into "her" virtual desktop. Eventually, I would like to make it so she could login on any pc in the house and get "her" desktop. So quick note. My wife is technology adverse. So I need something simple for the end user and robust enough that she won't call me at work to troubleshoot a problem. Oh and did I mention FREE is even better, It is after all a home lab. So any ideas or even better any tutorials I can follow. It has been great learning new things and I appreciate everyone on the forums, as you have all helped me in a lot of ways.

Scott

2. LnxBil

LnxBil Well-Known Member

What about the Windows built-in RDP?

3. Stak1993

Stak1993 New Member

I appreciate the reply. I was sort of looking for a more elegant solution. If I have her boot up into her existing Windows 10 environment, she won't see the need to open a Virtual Machine.

4. LnxBil

LnxBil Well-Known Member

How should she connect if there is no running OS on their laptop?

Performance-wise RDP is the best option. You can also go with SPICE, but it's much harder to configure and you also have to have a client program. The only upside is that you can run it from Linux and script the whole way through.

5. Binary Bandit

Binary Bandit New Member
    Proxmox Subscriber

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice