Need advise for new server for Proxmox

kokoticek

Jun 7, 2010
We have 4 Linux servers that we need to virtualize in a Proxmox server.
Servers are like this:

--Mariadb database server with a web-based application on Centos 7, for 20 concurrent users
--Postgresql database server on Debian 7, for 30 concurrent users
--A database manager built on acucobol on Centos 7, for 30 concurrent users
--A file server over Samba on Centos 7, for 20 concurrent users, normally working on word and excel files

All servers are within the same network segment (there are no more than 40 users in total in the place), each server has 1 physical CPU with 2 cores, and 8 Gb RAM. Now, I highly doubt any of them has even used something close to 8 Gb RAM ever, but we'd like to leave each VM with the same 8 Gb of RAM nevertheless just in case.

So question is, based on these needs, what hardware specifications would be advisable for a Proxmox server with 4 KVM guests like the ones described?
More specifically, what kind of CPU would server need? What speed? How many cores?

Also, how much physical RAM would it be advisable for server, given we set each VM with RAM ballooning in range of minimum 4 Gb (or perhaps just 2 Gb?) and maximum 8 Gb?

Hope question is not too convoluted.
Thanks.

The only question I see is ... Full-SSD or not. Any modern CPU is capable for running this load. I'd recommend at least 16 GB, better 64 GB.

Second question - and maybe more important - what is your budget? Do you want to buy new hardware, hardware with support or used hardware? Do you want to build a cluster or not.

Thanks.

If you mean SSD hard drives, sadly I don't think so. I think the're going for SATA hard drives.

I haven't heard anything about the budget, but they definitely talk about new hardware and the best fitting. Also I don't think clusters will be necessary for now.

If your databases are used a lot (relative term) and by many people at the same time with multiple queries and inserts I would recommend you plan on splitting the VMs volumes to different physical hard drives on the pve server. Without knowing exactly what type of usage the database gets I can't be sure you'd need this... I just know in my case, I do/did.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!