Native VLAN + tagged VLAN

oester

Jan 9, 2021
I'm trying to convert over from a native vlan to a native vlan + tagged vlan and I can't seem to make it work. Right now my /etc/network/interfaces looks like this:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eno1
iface eno1 inet manual

auto eno2
iface eno2 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
bond-slaves eno1 eno2
bond-miimon 100
bond-mode 802.3ad
bond-xmit-hash-policy layer2+3

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.15.2/24
gateway 192.168.15.1
bridge-ports bond0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094

On the switch side, it's set to vlan15 (native vlan), and none of the instances have any vlan tags on them. When I move the LAG on the switch over to a port profile of "vlan15+tagged vlan 25" (unifi, if anyone is interested), I immediately lose access to PVE itself (192.168.15.2). My assumption was that I didn't need to tag the bond itself (looking over https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration) since vlan15 is still the native vlan and I could just tag the VM's that I wanted to use vlan25.

What am I missing here?

The native vlan is always untagged. So if you just added a tagged vlan to the port on the switch you don't have to change anything on the client (=Proxmox host) side.

So, I guess the problem is your switch. Not knowing Unify in detail, I would assume that the switch changes the PVID of the port as soon as you add a tagged vlan.
Untagged VLAN *and* PVID have to be 15, in that case.

Follow up - yea, it was a switch issue. Rather a firewall rule issue that wasn't allowing traffic between vlan25 and vlan15.

Measure twice, cut once !

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!