Native MooseFS client support on ProxMox

plofkat

Mar 20, 2013
Would something like this be possible?

I have been using MooseFS as my shared storage with ProxMox for about 5 years, and it has proven to be rock solid and reliable.

Getting it to work with Proxmox is trivial - add moosefs repo, install moosefs-client and add entry to /etc/fstab to mount it in set directory (/mnt/mfs) on each proxmox server.

It would be nice to see some stats for moosefs on the console, (chunk server and disk health, etc) as well as support for the moosefs snapshot feature.

I do not think they are planning on adding MFS support. It's a shame, because it works beautifully with ProxMox.
I would recommend having the storage and corosync networks on separate physical adapters and switches for better performance.

I do not think they are planning on adding MFS support. It's a shame, because it works beautifully with ProxMox.
No plans. But there is always the possibility two write your own custom storage plugin. See the links below.
https://pve.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-devel/2016-August/022533.html
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Documentation

I would recommend having the storage and corosync networks on separate physical adapters and switches for better performance.
This is always a recommended step.

Did you do some (fio-) benchmarks? Being a fuse-based system my personal expectations would be very low, compared to - let's say - non-redundant/classic NFS.

Best regards
Not yet, still working out some stability things and generally kicking the tires. In theory MooseFS should be on par with or outperform NFS on decent hardware. While it is FUSE-based, I've found it can be quite performant depending on your workload.

This plugin is pretty early days, though; it has a few bugs that I'm going to work through with the Proxmox devs hopefully :)

Last edited:
Reactions: fpausp and UdoB

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!