NATing inside CT

qstraza

Nov 27, 2012
Hi,

I have been struggling for a while now and I cannot figure it out.

First, the setting;

Node has 2 bridged connection, one is bridged to physical NIC, which goes out to the web (vmbr0).
Second bridge (vmbr1) is not bridged to anything but has a IP 10.20.30.1.

So, I have two CT's. Lets call first one A and the second B.

CT A has two interfaces, IP for eth0 globally assigned by my ISP (vmbr0).
eth1 (vmbr1) has an IP of 10.20.30.2.

CT B has one interface and has IP of 10.20.30.3 (vmbr1).

Both of the CT's can ping each other and they can also ping the node and the other way around. So, this connections works.

Problem;

I would like to access CT B from the web via CT A using port forwarding.

This iptables rule should do the trick, but it does not:
Code:
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 8081 -j DNAT  --to-destination 10.20.30.3:80

Any ideas?

Btw, when I executed the iptables rule, I got an error
Code:
can't initialize iptables table `nat': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?
I added iptables_nat to /etc/vz/vz.conf on the Node, rebooted and than the rule executed w/o any problem, but it still does not work.

I know that this rule works on the Node, so I could access it like that, but I really want to not touch a Node too much, I want to do this on a CT.
I also tried this by replacing CT A with the actual Debian VM, but it also did not work.

Addition,

if I execute this rule on CT A
Code:
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s '10.20.30.0/24' -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
And set gateway to 10.20.30.2 on CT B, I can access the web from CT B.

Well it meritoriously started working.

So doing this on CT A:
Code:
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s '10.20.30.0/24' -o eth0 -j SNAT --to $globalipaddr #you could also do Masquerade, but SNAT is preferable whenever possible
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 8081 -j DNAT  --to-destination 10.20.30.3:80
And setting default gw to 10.20.30.2 on CT B, enables access to the web and also enables to access web server through port 8081 to CT B from the web.

If anyone else has similar problem, I would be glad to help ;)

Hi, I have exactly the same config than you, provably a provider from France, heheh :)

Well, I executed the rule in the node console, didn't get any error but forwarding is not working. I tried using eth0 and also (just in case) vmbr0.

Any tip ?

Thx :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!