[SOLVED] mysterious ZFS-Pool usage - who can help troubleshooting?

nigi

Jan 1, 2017
Hi, my disk space on a ZFS pool is almost used but I don't know why.
There are 3.22 T used, but I can't see why.

Code:
~# zfs list -t filesystem -o space
NAME                             AVAIL   USED  USEDSNAP  USEDDS  USEDREFRESERV  USEDCHILD
rpool                             752G  4.58T        0B    104K             0B      4.58T
rpool/ROOT                        752G  3.22T        0B     96K             0B      3.22T
rpool/ROOT/pve-1                  752G  3.22T        0B   3.22T             0B         0B
rpool/backup                      487G  12.8G        0B   12.8G             0B         0B
rpool/data                        752G    96K        0B     96K             0B         0B
rpool/vm_pool                     752G  1.33T        0B    128K             0B      1.33T
rpool/vm_pool/subvol-100-disk-0  15.5G  4.54G        0B   4.54G             0B         0B
[...]

I agree with backup, data and vm_pool. But NOT with /rpool/ROOT/pve-1

Code:
~# du -sh /rpool/ROOT/pve-1/
512    /rpool/ROOT/pve-1/
Where does this 3.22 T used Space come from? I can't find any files

Hi,

Have you check the output of `zfs get all` command? this will print more information.

Your root filesystem uses 3.22TB. Usually thats the case when you manually mount a storage (internal or external Disk, SMB/NFS share) using fstab/systemd and you forget to set the "is_mountpoint" flag for your directory storage. When then the mounting of that share/disk fails you will write your data to the unmounted mountpoint so data will end up on the root filesystem and not on the disk/share it should have been stored on.

You should also check with zfs list -o space if discard isn't working (=high refereservation) of if snapshots preventing ZFS from freeing up space.

Last edited:
Hi, of course, I've inspected my mounted directories, first. But obviously very negligent :rolleyes:
Thanks for your tip! I've found the missing mount only in the third pass.

But how can I flag a directory as a mountpoint? I didn't know this flag.

Thx
nigi

Hi, of course, I've inspected my mounted directories, first. But obviously very negligent :rolleyes:
Thanks for your tip! I've found the missing mount only in the third pass.

But how can I flag a directory as a mountpoint? I didn't know this flag.

Thx
nigi
That can only be set using the CLI: pvesm set StorageNameOfYourDirectroyStorage --is_mountpoint yes

See: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pvesm.1.html

OK,
I thought it was an Linux feature. I hadn't thought of PVE. Thanks, I've learned something again!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!