My day with SPICE

ThomasS

Renowned Member
Feb 28, 2011
Zwickau, Germany, Germany
Hello,
this short article should describe my experiences with the new SPICE feature in Proxmox and why it is no out-of-the-box solution at present. There are two main issues, making SPICE not usable for my configuration.

Issue #1: SPICE becomes slow
I start with an introduction of my former setting: As client I use Ubuntu 13.10 with latest virt-manager 0.9.5 from the repos. On my proxmox server (latest upgrades) there is running an older Ubuntu 12.10 LTS vm. Accessing the Ubuntu VM first works fine, but after minutes of working in the VM it becomes more and more slowly until there is no further response and the CPU is running at 100%.

Issue #2: black screen in new VM's
I thought this was because of the older Ubuntu version. So I deleted the (not so important) VM and created a new one installing latest Lubuntu. But right after starting the install screen, the virt-manager window leaves black. The VNC console was showing the same result. So I switched to the standard graphics adapter, installed Lubuntu including spice-vdagent and restarted the system with the spice graphics adapter. After rebooting the fresh system there was still just a black screen. I repeated the procedure with installing the latest Ubuntu 13.10 inside the VM - with the same results. Everytime I used the SPICE graphics adapter, the X windows system 'bootet' into a black screen with no response, even in the VNC console.
Both VMs had a 20GB quemu harddisk, 2048 Mb of RAM and no further special settings.

back to Issue #1 - leading to Issue #2:
After all I recovered my old Ubuntu 12.10 from a backup, started it and the SPICE connection works just fine. But even after some minutes of using Firefox and other stuff in the VM, SPICE becomes more and more sluggish until there was no further response. This was about 15 minutes ago. Right at this time of writing I reconnected to the VM (as well as with SPICE and with VNC) and now got a black screen and can't access it. In VNC I just see the native mouse pointer standing still.
But the VM itself seems to be active. One of it's task is to fetch webcontent from another server and store it on an independent file server. On the file server I can see that the Ubuntu VM is creating new files properly.

So maybe you can help (me):
  • Why becomes the SPICE display more and more sluggish till there is no UI update and a black screen?
  • Why show new VM's (Linux 3.x) a black screen right after booting into X windows?
  • Why does my old Ubuntu not (instantly showing the black screen)?

Any suggestions?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!