My container cant install packages, no internet

rabbani

Aug 31, 2023
Hi,
im new to proxmox, im running on virtualbox, my pve host have internet access but my containers cant install packages...help plz

thanks
Capture.PNGCapture1.PNGCapture4.PNG

Hello
1. Have you updated your repository before trying to install new packages ? (# apt update)
2. Can you ping a nameserver ? (ping 8.8.8.8)

Hello
1. Have you updated your repository before trying to install new packages ? (# apt update)
2. Can you ping a nameserver ? (ping 8.8.8.8)
no i cant ping....i dont understand networking....i set container ip to 192.168.0.107 and gateway to 192.168.0.1,,,,,,my pve has ip 192.168.0.106 and same gateway and it can ping...

Well apparently there are some difficulties when running pve in virtualbox.
But fortunately there is a Wiki article explaining the necessary steps to get your system running, have you tried it ?
If you plan to have Proxmox VE host its own (nested) virtual machines or containers that are attached to a VirtualBox virtual network (as opposed to running entirely within Proxmox VE's own internal bridged networking) and would like those guests to be able to communicate with the VirtualBox host or with other VirtualBox-hosted (as opposed to Proxmox VE-hosted) virtual machines, you should ensure that the relevant VirtualBox virtual network adapter is permitted to use promiscuous mode.

This is not the default setting! Rather, by default, VirtualBox denies its guest VMs from effectively enabling promiscuous mode. (Its default setting is Deny.) The setting is available from the Network tab in a VirtualBox VM Machine Settings window (Network → Adapter N [where N is the adapter number] → Advanced → Promiscuous Mode) or can be changed via command line with:

Last edited:
Reactions: rabbani
no i cant ping....i dont understand networking....i set container ip to 192.168.0.107 and gateway to 192.168.0.1,,,,,,my pve has ip 192.168.0.106 and same gateway and it can ping...
This happening because im on virtualbox, on another node my container has internet

Try to disable the firewall on the VM to make other tests. From your VM you can ping the pve and viceversa?
yes pve and ct can ping each other, container cant ping 8.8.8.8 or anything.......i allow all in Promiscuous Mode, enabled vt-x/amd-v, no firewall,,,,,,still not workin...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!