Mutliple Network bridges? How?

Netizen

Aug 16, 2012
Hello,

I have a server with one standard IP plus a /29 subnet (on Datacenter).
I have created a bridge and I have assigned the last IP address of my /29 subnet to it.
The bridge is used for routed KVM machines and each KVM uses one IP of the subnet.

So far it works ok however I am running out of IPs so I would like -if possible- to have the ability to assign one IP to many guests. For example I would like to have 2 or more KVM machines with internal IPs (i.e 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2) and with the help on NAT to assign WAN smtp port of a public IP to 10.0.0.1 and the WAN http port to 10.0.0.2.

Can I have both of the above setups working together? And if yes can someone show me the basic steps please?

Thank you

I think u need a one-to-one nat ( see http://shorewall.net/NAT.htm ) but I suggest o you to buy more ip : it's better than do mixed network like this.

If I am not mistaken, 1-2-1 NAT dedicates the WAN IP to the single internal host, which is not what I am thinking.
IPs althought are not expensive are not supposed to be wasted...
In any case thank you for the reply and suggestion.

Can someone else also comment?

If I am not mistaken, 1-2-1 NAT dedicates the WAN IP to the single internal host, which is not what I am thinking.
IPs althought are not expensive are not supposed to be wasted...
In any case thank you for the reply and suggestion.

Can someone else also comment?

1 - 2 -1 NAT allow you to use the WAN IP to one or more internal host.
If u read
One-to-one NAT is a way to make systems behind a firewall and configured with private IP addresses (those reserved for private use in RFC 1918) appear to have public IP addresses.
the word is systemS, private addresseS etc... with plural S.

So, for example, un can have 'n' server with 192.168.1.n and the firewall with 192.168.1.254 (on private) and 1.2.3.4 (on public) and redirect connection with port check.
emember that u can't use the same port for different ip, except with a reverse proxy on the behalf

The question remains... does anyone know if this mixed networking setup is actually possible?

For 1:1 nat you also need one public ip per host. The only you can do is port forwarding. If you need ssl you can forget it then you need one ip per server. Ips are not expensive so buy some ips and you will not have the problem. I looked at my isp there a /29 cost 29€ for setup and no running costs.
So i would not even think about such constructions. If you will do it you will run in future in a lot of problems.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!