Multiple Public IP on 1 VM

d1ch0t

Jan 29, 2016
I'd like to set up 4 public iPs on a VM that I'm using as an entry point to with HaProxy on it. Due to OVH using their Virtual Macs I'm unsure of the best way to do this and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

I was originally going to just add 3 more NIC's to the VM but was thinking it may be better to set a routed config up. Would appreciate advice. Many thanks.

Hi,

afik OVH need for every external accessible IP an own mac address.
So there you need 4 nics and can't work with virtual IP's.

I'm such an idiot. I've been wasting my time trying to figure out how to get these IPs to work on one VM when all you have to do is add the additional failover IPs to an existing Virtual Mac and then add them in the VM as an IP alias.

This hopefully helps anyone who is guilty of trying to overcomplicate as I have just been :(.

Last edited:
Reactions: El Tebe
I know this forum is old. But how do you add the additional failover ip's to the existing virtual mac, I have been working on this for three days now. How and where do you do it? On the host or on the actual vm itself?

Ok, eay peasy. I'll lay it out from the start although you've already done most of it:

1. Create a Virtual MAC in the OVH Manager for the main IP address your VM will use.
2. Create your VM, add the MAC that OVH gave you when you did step 1.
3. Set up your networking in your VM for the main IP and make sure that's all working first.
4. Add your failover IPs to the existing MAC in OVH Manager. Right hand side in OVH click the dots and choose use existing MAC, choose your MAC from step 1.
4. The IP's are now being routed by OVH all to that MAC so just set up the failovers as aliases in your VM e.g eth0:0, eth0:1 etc.

Done!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!