multiple nodes joining the cluster all at once

FredG

Feb 12, 2024
Hi,

I've been playing around with proxmox and salt to deploy pve on mutliple nodes and setup a cluster automatically.
It works well appart from the state where the nodes are trying to join the cluster at the same time.
I end up and a bunch of nodes in a confused state thinking that they are alone in a cluster, and my "master" node also confused with a bunch of nodes with the red "X" and some with the grey "?" on the webui. Also get some quorum errors after that.
Adding the nodes one by one works as expected with no problem at all.

Now, I'm just wondering if what I'm trying to do is supported? can we have multiple nodes asking the same "master" server at the same time (testing with 8 nodes at the moment) to join the cluster? if not, is there a way for a node to know that the "master" server is currently busy with other requests?
I could also think of something like adding all nodes to the cluster from the master? or having a random delay between each nodes trying to reach the cluster?
Maybe there is an API call I can do before trying to join the cluster that would tell me that the "master" is currently busy?

Any tips appreciated,

Best regards

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!