Multiple NICs/network bridge on same subnet?

mandibleman

Feb 15, 2019
Hello all!
I'm trying to setup a bunch of systems to serve as uploaders for large files internally on our network. All four of the NICs on the host are all on the same switch, on the same subnet. My thought was that I could assign one VM per NIC, and each VM would be able to utilize the full GBit bandwidth. The Proxmox installer created one bridge for eno1, and I tried to create three more bridges (for each NIC), but when I tried, the UI complained that it had the same gateway as the existing bridge. Am I doing or expecting something wrong?
Thanks!

Just set up the bridges assigned to each network interface without any configuration (except one, you still need to access the host machine on it). Its complaining because you are setting the IP addresses for the host and of course you can only have one primary gateway. Just assign the bridge/s as you intended and the IP config within the VM will take care of everything.

OK, I see now.
My mistake was thinking that I needed to fully setup the network settings for the bridge.
I've setup the VM bridges and VMs as described and things seem to be working just fine.
Thanks for the help!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!