Multiple Nic Support?

UberSlackr

Oct 2, 2023
New to Proxmox, trying to figure a few things out before making the leap completely...

My main rack server has 2 Network Ports (On the Motherboard)
I'd like to enable them both to seperate traffic accessing the "NAS" functions in a VM, from those running applications (like Home Assistant) in another VM.

Each Network Port is hardwired to a UniFi switch, with Static IP assigned. Both are on the same vLan (x.x.10.x)

vmbr0 was configured on install of Proxmox w/ the "Gateway" IP, assigned to [port] enp80s0

I created vmbr1 and assigned it to [port] enp81s0, but it doesn't allow me to assign it a "Gateway" because it would be the same as vmbr0.

Is it fine that there is no "Gateway" set? Will in function still, passing a "Gateway" to any VM using the vmbr1/enp81s0 ?

I created vmbr1 and assigned it to [port] enp81s0, but it doesn't allow me to assign it a "Gateway" because it would be the same as vmbr0.
An OS should only use one gateway and one IP of the same subnet.
So just don't assign IP and gateway to vmbr1. IP and gateway on bridges are for the PVE host only (webUI, SSH and so on), not for the guests.
Just add your NAS VMs virtual NIC to vmbr0 vmbr1, the virtual NICs of all other VMs/LXCs to vmbr0 and then give those VMs/LXC an IP from within the guestOS.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I follow what you mean..

I was using OMV; which I was able to enable both Network Adapters on the same machine.
OMV for accessing the shares/backups I used 1 IP (x.x.10.12) then assigned the docker containers running HA (and other applications to use the secondary Network Adapter via separate IP (x.x.10.13) ... so if someone was uploading large files to the NAS (OMV), it wouldn't interfere with traffic accessing the docker containers.

This is what I'm trying to replicated; but separating into different VMs with Proxmox (as I was tired of having to rebuild the entire system, when something went wrong with OMV or Docker)
Just add your NAS VMs virtual NIC to vmbr0, the virtual NICs of all other VMs/LXCs to vmbr0
This would just send all traffic to the same Network Adapter (enp80s0) .. as the 2nd Network Adapter (enp81s0) is not "Active" without the VM Bridge set...

Last edited:
This would just send all traffic to the same Network Adapter (enp80s0) .. as the 2nd Network Adapter (enp81s0) is not "Active" without the VM Bridge set...
Sorry, a typo. I meant: "Just add your NAS VMs virtual NIC to vmbr1, the virtual NICs of all other VMs/LXCs to vmbr0 and then give those VMs/LXC an IP from within the guestOS."

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!