Multiple Interfaces not working

Scott07

Aug 1, 2017
I have a Proxmox setup which I have recently added a second network interface to the mix but I cant get this interface to work. I have eth1 and eth2 connected to a main network and eth0 connected to a secondary network. eth1 is connected as the management interface and this works, eth2 is connected to vmbr0 and all the vms on this are able to see this network and it works fine. eth0 is connected to vmbr1, but no virtual machine is able to connect to anything on this network. If I connect my laptop manually to to the same network I can ping the firewall and this works fine. If I give vmbr1 an IP address on the network then I can make the host ping the firewall, but none of the virtual machines. For info here is the content of the /etc/network/interfaces file

# network interface settings; autogenerated
# Please do NOT modify this file directly, unless you know what
# you're doing.
#
# If you want to manage part of the network configuration manually,
# please utilize the 'source' or 'source-directory' directives to do
# so.
# PVE will preserve these directives, but will NOT its network
# configuration from sourced files, so do not attempt to move any of
# the PVE managed interfaces into external files!

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
address 172.16.1.35
netmask 255.255.0.0
gateway 172.16.0.1
dns-nameservers 172.16.1.31 172.16.0.1
#Green Network Management UI

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual
#Blue Network

auto eth2
iface eth2 inet manual
#Green Network

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
bridge_ports eth2
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
address 172.16.254.1
#Green Network

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
#address 192.168.10.2
#Blue network

Do any of the VMs get an IP via vmbr1? Did you apply the network config? Did you reboot the VMs after applying the network config? Is routing required and in place for the blue network?

Sorry for the slow reply.

No, none of the VMS connected to that network can get an IP address.

I did apply the networking configuration, and I restarted the virtual host just to be sure.

The routing is in place for the blue network, I disconnected the virtual host and plugged my laptop into the same port on the switch, that works fine.

It occured to me that both of the network cards are the same Realtek card, I cant imagine that bring a problem, but I thought I should just put it out there.

Well then, standard network debugging it is. Give an IP to the bridge and see if you can ping it from a VM connected to it. Either check the log or start the dhcp client manually to see the result of a request.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!