[SOLVED] Multiple gateways on same network

showiproute

Mar 11, 2020
Austria
Hello everyone,

just a short question:
I have one network but two gateways - what would be the proper way to set that up at PVE host?

I have one network but two gateways - what would be the proper way to set that up at PVE host?

Have a Router outside of Proxmox with Multi-Gateway metrics or load balancing or whatsoever.

Or connect both networks to your proxmox host and have a Router CT/VM with Multiwan/LoadBalancing or Gateway rules.

For example, check how openWRT is handling that topic with mwan3 package: mwan3/OpenWRT
There are many other options as well to handle that topic.

I do not think your question is related to virtualization on Proxmox. Therefore, i guess it's advised to check for a Forum more related to the focus of routing.

TL;DR
Let a Router to route traffic between your different Gateways.

I had a router configuration with CARP but I removed it and my PVE VMs are able to deal with multiple gateways.
But on PVE itself I am unsure how to add multiple gateways.

So if your VM's are capable of multiple Gateways.

Code:
```
             +------------------+
             |      PVE         |
             +----+     +-----+ |
             |enp0+-----+vmbr0| |
             +----+     +-----+ |
             |                  |
+---+        +----+     +-----+ |
|GW1+--------+enp1+-----+vmbr2| |
             |                  |
|GW2+--------+enp2+-----+vmbr3| |
             |                  |
             +------------------+
```

connect the gateways to your Proxmox host.

GW1->enp1->vmbr2
GW2->enp2->vmbr3

connect VM1 to vmbr2 & vmbr3
connect VM2 to vmbr2 & vmbr3

If not, please consider to draw your setup with https://asciiflow.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: showiproute
My idea would be, connect both gateways to an openWRT LXC Client, use mwan3 package there, and use the openWRT virtual Router as a gateway for your VM's.

with mwan3, you could set which gateway to use when, etc...
your VM's would see only a single gateway and do not have to handle the multi-gateway stuff.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!