Multiple drives but no hardware raid

K

kameleon

I have just setup my proxmox server here at home again. This time I am using 1x 250GB IDE drive as my primary OS device and 8x 1TB drives as machine image storage etc. What I am trying to figure out is the best way to keep redundancy in the 8 drives while still keeping proxmox happy. I am running the new v2.0RC1. I have no real hardware raid, only fake raid I could enable on 5 of the drives leaving the other 3 our in the dark. I had thought of using FlexRAID but am not sure about that just yet. Then I thought about just running linux software raid but all I see on the forum is people trying to run the host OS on it. I just want the data drives protected, not the host OS. I will keep a backup of the host OS on another machine so that will be my backup for it. What would be my best bet in this setup? I would want to run at least a raid5 or maybe a raid50 so I could have 2 drive failures.

Originally I had planned on setting up the server with the lone 250GB drive and the others in a separate server to be served via iscsi but that turned out not to work that well when the other motherboard took a dump. So is there a safe way to do this all on one machine? I don't want to just extend the LVM across all 9 drives since that would not provide any protection. Any thoughts/insight is welcome.

Hi,
normaly i suggest an real hw-raidcontroller. But if this not doable at home try linux softwareraid. I had made good experience with this (but not in conjunction with pve - there i use hw-raids).

Udo

I am mostly wanting redundancy for my media. The machines will be backed up with backuppc anyways but I don't want to have to back up over 3tb of media like that. :)

So I may just see if I can source another motherboard for the "media storage" and use the flexraid there.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!