Multiple datastores on single backup server

tjk

May 3, 2021
Hey Folks,

I have a single Proxmox Backup Server that has multiple data stores on it. Do I need to add it multiple times (one for each data store) to the Proxmox cluster?

I have it added now for datastore1, and it works fine, but when I add new jobs it won't let me select the other data stores.

I assume I need to add it multiple times but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something else.

Thanks!

Hello,

what do you mean with 'datastore' ? In PBS a datastore is realized as a normal directory with some files and hidden stuff in it (you can recognize it with a hidden .chunks directory).

Different datastores are completely independent (they have different metadata and a different set of deduplication chunks). If you have several of these things - for example from an old PBS installation - then you need to add them too. You can import them by editing the file /etc/proxmox-backup/datastore.cfg and adding another section like so:

Code:
datastore: datastore-name
        path /path/to/the/directory

Also, these days PBS offers a new feature called Namespaces. If you have all your datastores on the same disk, it might be worth it to consolidate them into several namespaces inside one datastore. That way you can both separate them (e.g. when your VM's share VM-IDs) and use deduplication over all the backups.

Thanks, it is a single PBS with 2 datastores (actually 2 different NFS servers attached to the PBS server).

It sounds like I need to add PBS to the Proxmox cluster two times, one for each datastore.

Thanks, it is a single PBS with 2 datastores (actually 2 different NFS servers attached to the PBS server).

It sounds like I need to add PBS to the Proxmox cluster two times, one for each datastore.
Jup. And the same when using namespaces. So you need to add one PBS type storage for each datastore and namespace to your PVE cluster.

Reactions: tjk

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!