Multiple clusters for production

jamesd

Apr 2, 2023
Are there any installations in production where folks have employed more than one cluster?

Thinking about a multi-tiered approach where a master cluster is responsible for a more foundational level of services while a separate cluster hosts worker VMs.

I'm looking at auto-provisioning cluster nodes and wondered about hosting a PXE server in probably a single node that sits outside the worker cluster. It would have VMs for PXE server (DHCP, TFTP, NFS) as well as some monitoring and security tools.

If anyone else is trying this, how are you doing it with PXE? I've seen a method using FAI to pre-install Debian and then install PVE over the top. I understood that was because it wasn't as easy to auto provision straight Proxmox with a preseed.cfg, correct?

As a side note, once a machine joins a cluster, with the way I've been doing it with pvecm add, we provide the password, so I'm wondering how that works. Does this password get stored somewhere or do we use it to creates a public key auth? Presumably nodes within a cluster necessarily have priviledged access to other nodes for this reason?

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!