Multiple bridges to one bond?

PeterP

May 22, 2024
Hi there. New to Proxmox, familiar with Hyper-V, Xenserver, VMWare. I'm trying to connect two bridges to one bond, but when I try to connect the second bridge to the bond it's saying the port is already in use.

With other hypervisors, I usually use NIC1 as the management interface, and bond/team NICs 2/3/4 together, create virtual switches per vlan, connect the virtual switches to the bond, then connect VMs to the correct vswitch. Am I missing something?

Hi,

if I understand you correctly, you would want to do something similair to what Im doing:
1716383794960.png

I created one Bridge, where my Proxmox-Interface is running - ETH1

Then I created a Bond with ETH2-4, on this Bond I mapped a Bridge, that will be used by the VMs.
Inside the Config of the VMs I tag the specific VLAN I want to use:
1716383645332.png

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterP
Hi,

if I understand you correctly, you would want to do something similair to what Im doing:
View attachment 68602

I created one Bridge, where my Proxmox-Interface is running - ETH1

Then I created a Bond with ETH2-4, on this Bond I mapped a Bridge, that will be used by the VMs.
Inside the Config of the VMs I tag the specific VLAN I want to use:
View attachment 68601
Thanks, yes, I've got that far. Want to do this though...

1716385506620.png
Or is there a more elegant way to do this in pve?

For context. I teach a class of students. They've got a bare-metal server each to use. I've configured the VLANs on a L3 Cisco switch. Then they build out a Domain Controller (ADDS, DNS, DHCP), a Deployment Server (WDS/MDT), create a reference Win 11 VM, capture it and deploy it out to a target VM. All good fun.

1716386843348.png

The trouble is, I'll be having a bigger class next year and have run out of metal. Might have to move to having several vlans inside a host.

Thanks, yes, I've got that far. Want to do this though...

View attachment 68604
Or is there a more elegant way to do this in pve?
You can do exactly that with only a single VM-Bridge.

That Bridge would have all VLANs tagged on the Bridge, instead of multiple Bridges with untagged VLANs:
1716387540954.png

You dont need to tag it inside the Operating System of the VM, if thats what youre worried about.
Just make sure the Switch Ports of ETH2-4 are properly configured.

EDIT:
Some Screenshots with examples
1716388167093.png
VLAN10.png
VLAN20.png
VLAN30.png

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterP
You can do exactly that with only a single VM-Bridge.

That Bridge would have all VLANs tagged on the Bridge, instead of multiple Bridges with untagged VLANs:
View attachment 68607

You dont need to tag it inside the Operating System of the VM, if thats what youre worried about.
Just make sure the Switch Ports of ETH2-4 are properly configured.
Thanks. I suspected pve might handle it more elegantly. I'll give it a go. ETH2-4 are configured as 802.1Q trunks and capable of LACP/PAGP. I'll continue testing...

Reactions: Noah0302
Thanks. I suspected pve might handle it more elegantly. I'll give it a go. ETH2-4 are configured as 802.1Q trunks and capable of LACP/PAGP. I'll continue testing...
Cool, give me an Update weather it worked or not!

you can also use the sdn feature at datacenter level.

create a vlan zone , then create a vnet for each vlan.

you can also use the sdn feature at datacenter level.

create a vlan zone , then create a vnet for each vlan.
Yes, I saw that too. Would like to learn more about the SDN features. I'm a CCNA instructor at our college, and SDN is always something spoke about in theory, but no 'practical' activities. Packet Tracer has its limits.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!