Multihomed Proxmox installation; Adding a storage location on a different VLAN

SpicySpice

Oct 30, 2020
Hi all. Currently I have Proxmox VE 6.0-4 running with two physical network interfaces. The first is a 1 Gigabit management interface on 10.0.10.x network. The other is a 10 Gigabit VLAN trunk for the various VMs.

What I need to achieve is add a CIFS storage pool however the CIFS/SMB server sits over on the 10.0.17.0 network and I need to be able access it via the 10 Gigabit interface (not via the 1 Gigabit management port which it's trying to do).

What's the best way to make this happen? I've tried a few things, but none seem to work, so I'm just taking stabs in the dark. The following is the contents of /etc/network/interfaces

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

iface eno2 inet manual

auto ens1f0
iface ens1f0 inet manual

iface ens1f1 inet manual

iface enp0s29f0u2c2 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address  10.0.10.15
        netmask  24
        gateway  10.0.10.1
        bridge-ports eno1
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
#Proxmox Management Network

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
        bridge-ports ens1f0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 2-4094
#10Gbit VM Trunk

I've tried a few things, but none seem to work
Next time please tell us what you have tried so we can avoid proposing a solution which did not work :)

Looking at your network config, I can think of 2 possibilities. The first and probably easier one would be to assign an IP address to the 10G interface (vmbr1) which is in a different subnet and assign an IP in the same new subnet as additional IP to the machine running the CIFS share. This way you can access the CIFS share directly via the 10G NIC if you use the IPs in the new subnet.

The second one would be to assign an IP in the current subnet to the 10G bridge which needs to be different from the one the 1G bridge has. Then add a custom route to the CIFS server via the 10G bridge. This solution will be trickier to debug should things not work as expected.

I tried your first suggestion above, however it doesn't work. You can't ping in/out of that interface on that segment. I'm not even seeing the ICMP packets hitting the firewall. I think my only (and easiest) option at this point is to upgrade the management interface to 10 Gigabit.

Last edited:
You can't ping in/out of that interface on that segment. I'm not even seeing the ICMP packets hitting the firewall.
This sounds like something to investigate further as there might be a problem beyond some configuration. You have configured a different subnet on that interface right? For example 192.168.15.15/24 and the NAS has an additional 192.168.15.x/24 configured. You could also configure an IP in that network on the firewall if that is where the 10G interface if connected to and check if you can reach it. A ping will only work if the broadcast ARP lookup actually returns a MAC address to which the ping packets can be sent to.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!