Multicast usage in proxmox

Andrew Hart

Dec 1, 2017
Hi,
I have installed a 16 node proxmox 5.1 cluster with a ceph hdd osd on each node, 5 monitor/mgrs, 2Gbit network. During installation I wasn't able to get multicast networking on the network switch.
Everything seems to work so I am wondering what problems I should look out for. Is multicast really needed?
Is there anything in the web interface that would show multicast status?
Andrew

I read through that and established that multicast isn't working, but still everything seems fine without it. So that's why the question. I did find one thing wrong and that was that "ceph versions" is inconsistent and "ceph osd status" seems not work properly (hostname missing in some rows) but that's ceph not proxmox.

I finally found that I had completely misunderstood the omping program. The command has to be run separately on all the nodes. I just ran it on one node with all the nodes listed in the command line and thought it would handle it all itself.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!