Multible Problems receiving and sending E-Mails

Hi there
The Firmware is V4.00(XD.7). Not the newest. I can Upgrade it tonight, but not right now, as it's a productive system.

Another user reported "But after upgrading the ZyXEL ZyWALL 5’s firmware to the latest version (V4.02(XD.2)), the problem disappeared"

Let's remember that the e-mail problem started about 7 weeks ago after upgrading to Gateway 2.1 the same firewall has been installed for 2y now. now Update no, changes as we believe in 'don't touch a running system'.

Bug are not always simple. I believe it is a MTU problem - mabe you network configuration changed somewhere (at you ISP)?

But I'll be happy to update the firewall - wich meens taking a risk that it won't work after the upgrade...and down grade is not a good idea!

Any reasonable firewall product should be able to do updates - else it is a security problem and not a firewall.

Can we make a phone call this afternoon and look at the PC by ssh?
I think it might help finding the problem, what ever it is.
Please..

See: http://www.proxmox.com/cms_proxmox/en/home/company/contact/

(just call)

- Dietmar

My experiance is that certain e-mail servers have a problem sending uns e-mails, others just work fine.
So I sort of dout a network problem, more seems like a protokoll-problem.
That's why I would like you to look at the pc i set up. Even better would be the productiv system, but ssh doesn't work anymore.

I think it is a network problem. It looks like a TCP MTU bug. We already observed such bugs with some other firewall product, and there is a strong indictaion that an update to latest zywall firmware will resolve the problem.

I don't think its a Protokol problem - there is not indication for that?

(I can reprocude the problem using telnet, so no MTA is involved at all)

And why does ssh doesn't work anymore (i assume same bug triggers)?

- Dietmar

Just exchanged the ZyWall (we have a spare for emergency!

Can you send me a e-mail and try it please!

Just exchanged the ZyWall (we have a spare for emergency!

Can you send me a e-mail and try it please!

hi,

yes, now we can send emails to your server without delay.

another question concerning ssh access:
did you configure ssh properly? see Configuration/System/SSH access?

ssh...hmmm..doesn't work... it did work a while ago.

Conf is..

Network192.168.250.1255.255.255.0
dyngraph.pl
Host192.168.250.160-
dyngraph.pl
Network192.168.253.1255.255.255.0
dyngraph.pl
Network192.168.254.1255.255.255.0

being our local networks. But I still get the error.
I had the same on the pc until I decidet to set it up from scratsch.
Can I reinstall ssh on the console. Into which conf.file does it write the allowed-networks?

Ok, SSH works now:
I deleted the hole ssh access list and entered only the one network with a '.0' at the end instead of a '.1'.

Don't know if thats the diffrens, but it works now.

Recap....
Problem/Effect: Can't receive E-Mails and have time-outs building up connections to other E-Mail-Server

Solution:
Upgradet the ZyWall5 Firewall to the newest release!

That's it. Don't know where the problem was, but everything seems to be working normaly.

You can close this thread in 24 h if I don't come back bevorhand :)

Thank you to the hole Proxmox-Team for the great support...It wasen't fun, but it was worth it...

ssh...hmmm..doesn't work... it did work a while ago.

Conf is..

Network192.168.250.1255.255.255.0
dyngraph.pl
Host192.168.250.160-
dyngraph.pl
Network192.168.253.1255.255.255.0
dyngraph.pl
Network192.168.254.1255.255.255.0

being our local networks. But I still get the error.
I had the same on the pc until I decidet to set it up from scratsch.
Can I reinstall ssh on the console. Into which conf.file does it write the allowed-networks?

from which IP do you connect?
which error message?

Solution:
Upgradet the ZyWall5 Firewall to the newest release!

That's it. Don't know where the problem was, but everything seems to be working normaly.

It a problem in the TCP MTU handling of the zywall rooter. Obviously the fixed that bug in newer releases.

- Dietmar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!