MTU setting regression (Open vSwitch)

brad_mssw

Jun 13, 2014
We've been using the same network configuration for about 2 years now with no changes, we use Open vSwitch. This issue appears to be intermittent, but sometimes on reboot, the bridge does not come up with the requested MTU size of 8996, instead it uses the default of 1500. This also means our 'vlan55' used for ceph traffic also doesn't come up with the right MTU which causes major issues with ceph since the other nodes have the proper MTU.

Our eth0 and eth1 interfaces do show the proper MTU. Unfortunately I did not capture the status of the bond0 interface as I was in a hurry to fix the issue. Our configuration is identical to Example #2 in the pve wiki for openvswitch, except used an MTU of 8996 due to intel NIC limitations.

A reboot seems to solve the issue.

We are running proxmox 4.2 from the no-subscription repo, with packages about 2 weeks old. Has anyone else hit this issue? We've seen the issue 4 times now.

Also, one thing I'm not 100% sure about is if the MTU issue is actually a boot-time issue or not. We had a node that only had a couple of VMs on it that hadn't been rebooted in a couple of weeks that started going wonky the other day, upon investigation, the MTU was showing as 1500. I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't have experienced an issue earlier, but it is a very low load cluster ... so its possible. I sure hope its a boot-time issue and not that the MTU somehow changes over time.

We're adding a nagios check for this condition so hopefully we can provide more information the next time it happens.

Hi,

Im not 100% sure if this will help,
but you can try to purge open-vswitch openvswitch-common openvswitch-switch package and install it new.

There were a startup script incompatibility in Version 2.5.

I'm a little hesitant to try this since I'm pretty sure I won't have network connectivity once I purge openvswitch to then do the re-installation of openvswitch. All interfaces are bound to the bridge ... upgrading to OVS 2.5 did require a system reboot to bring the network back up, so it wasn't a smooth experience ... luckily we had console over ipmi access.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!