MTU regression in recent 2.6 kernels.

nixcz

Sep 16, 2014
The following problem exists on an out of the box install with latest 3.4 ISO installer (pve-kernel-2.6.32-39-pve) and also following a dist-upgrade which installs pve-kernel-2.6.32-40-pve. Manually installing pve-kernel-3.10.0-11-pve seems to fix the problem. I know the 2.6 series is on its way out, but as long as it's the default kernel, I think this deserves some attention. Maybe it's only with this specific hardware. Can't check with anything else right now.

Basically the MTU on a vmbr bridged interface over a bond does not inherit a large MTU like 9000. It retains the default 1500.

The following is an example config:

Code:
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
        slaves eth1,eth2,eth3
        bond_miimon 100
        bond_mode 802.3ad
        bond_xmit_hash_policy layer3+4
        pre-up ifconfig eth1 mtu 9000
        pre-up ifconfig eth2 mtu 9000
        pre-up ifconfig eth3 mtu 9000
        post-up ifconfig bond0 mtu 9000

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
        bridge_ports bond0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

vmbr1 should inherit the mtu of the underlying bond0, but with (the last two) 2.6 kernels, it stays at 1500 even though the physical eth1-3 and bond0 interfaces all show MTU:9000 in ifconfig output.

With the 3.10.0-11 kernel, vmbr1 shows the expected MTU:9000.

As an aside, I tried to boot back into the original 2.6.32-39 kernel after the manual install of 3.10.0-11. This resulted in a kernel panic on boot. I didn't bother looking at it more, so not sure if it was the dist-upgrade or the 3.10 kernel install that caused that. Had no problems booting back into the 3.10 kernel (and also 2.6.32-40 I think).

Confirmed this mtu behavior with a new install on a second system with identical hardware (didn't try to reproduce the kernel panic) by checking the mtu at each step, post install, post upgrade, and post 3.10 kernel install.

Hardware is a Supermicro X10SLM+-LN4F which has four NICs. Product page says they are (Intel) i210AT controllers.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!