Moving VMs outside of cluster with minimum downtime

aluputi

Jul 12, 2017
Good day,

I want to reinstall my cluster, swap some drives, change some hostnames, etc... and I don't know how to migrate the existing VMs to external machines with minimum downtime. I run ZFS on all servers so I'm thinking pve-zsync would be a viable option?

Looking forward for your suggestions, thanks!

Using the send/recv mechanism of ZFS is surely the best option here. If you use pve-zsync or not is up to you. You can then move the config files of the VMs manually to the other server. They are located in /etc/pve/qemu for VMs and /etc/pve/lxc for containers.

If you have the same VMID on the other server you will need to do some renaming.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!