Moving VMs from Local-LVM drive to Local drive?

proxmoxniggaz

Jan 26, 2020
How can I just move some of the VMs from Local-LVM drive to Local drive?
My local lvm drive is 98% full. I have 80gb free on local drive.

Whats the simple way "for dummies" to move a handful of VMs to Local drive from Local LKVM?

Whats the simple way "for dummies" to move a handful of VMs to Local drive from Local LKVM?

1. Open Webinterface
  2. Login as root (or other high priviledged user)
  3. go to a VM which you want to move its disk
  4. select that disk
  5. click "Move Disk"
  6. Select "local" as target and then "OK"
If "Local" does not shows up as target you need to ensure that it allows disk images, you can change that in Datacenter → Storage
Hope that helps.

I get as far as:
"Select "local" as target and then "OK"

Only LOCAL-LVM shows up as target.

How can I add "Local" as target?

I remember a few years ago, a tech attached via usb (dont recommend this but works in a pinch) a 500gb ssd drive and somehow added it as a target.

So, its likely the same method. Dont have contact with him any longer though.

THEREFORE, how can I add LOCAL as target so that LOCAL-LVM Is not the only target please/

Thx

DO I put an X for "shared" as its unboxed now and not shared?

WHich selection do I use for content in the drop down menu for LOCAL?

I reckon we have narrowed the issue just one of these two things should do the trick!

DO I put an X for "shared" as its unboxed now and not shared?

No, that's only for telling that this is a shared network storage even if Proxmox VE cannot detect itself, for example if you manually mount a NFS somewhere (whyever) and add it as "directory storage" to Proxmox VE.

WHich selection do I use for content in the drop down menu for LOCAL?
Use "Disk Image" for VM disks and "Container" for CT volumes. If unsure just tick all.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!