[SOLVED] Moving to ZFS Mirror from GRUB installation

ToasterPC

May 12, 2023
Hey there!

Turns out I'm loving Proxmox a little too much, and I've run out of space in my current SSD, so I bought a 1TB NVMe drive and plan on replacing the internal SATA SSD with another 1TB drive I'm currently using through USB.

However, due to the redundancy benefits, I'd love to be able to reinstall Proxmox with a ZFS mirror for the boot device, though I'm not sure which options I have available to me without resorting to another machine.

Is there any way for me to install Proxmox to the NVMe drive, migrate all information over, and then replace the SSD for the new one to build the pool afterwards?

Thanks in advance!

How is it installed currently? ZFS with a single disk?

Ok, then a reinstall will be necessary.

Are the guest's images located in `local-lvm`? Then it is easiest to create backups of the guests, to a reinstall and restore the guests with a new target storage.

Ok, then a reinstall will be necessary.

Are the guest's images located in `local-lvm`? Then it is easiest to create backups of the guests, to a reinstall and restore the guests with a new target storage.
I see. They are indeed.

So if I'm understanding correctly, I'd first have to configure another drive as an LVM volume, then backup the VMs to it, then reinstall using ZFS this time, and at last restore the backups from the external drive. Did I get that right?

Anything where you can store backups to. A network share on another NAS or other machine for example. Then use the backup functionality to back up your guests. After that you can modify your server and do a new install with ZFS.

Then configure that external storage again to get access to the backups. Upon restoring you will have to set the storage, as you will not have a `local-lvm` anymore but a `local-zfs`.

Anything where you can store backups to. A network share on another NAS or other machine for example. Then use the backup functionality to back up your guests. After that you can modify your server and do a new install with ZFS.

Then configure that external storage again to get access to the backups. Upon restoring you will have to set the storage, as you will not have a `local-lvm` anymore but a `local-zfs`.
Excellent. I'll begin making the backups then while the disk arrives. Thanks for the help and I'll keep you posted!

Okay, I just finished moving everything over and it seems everything went alright. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: aaron and Darkk

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!