Moving proxmox hard drive to a new server and No network. - Fixed

Joseph Chrzempiec

Jun 9, 2016
Hello, For some odd reason my server motherboard has failed. I moved my hard drive that has proxmox on it to a new server, Got it up and running and no network connection. It shows the static ip from the old server but still no network. I have tried to change the static ip in the interfaces as well as reboot no such luck nothing is working on the network side. I'm not sure what to do or how to get it back up and running. Can someone please help me to figure this problem out why I can not get a network to run? Thank you

Joseph

Hello, I figure out the problrm. I had to change the name of the network card in the interfaces. Once I did that I was able to get it up and running.

Joseph

Hello
To discover the "real" name of NIC cards in your computer, look at /sys/class/net
This is useful when you upgrade from Proxmox 6 to 7 (so you change major Debian version) and some network card names changed !
You have to modify your /etc/network/interfaces file with the new network card names to recover network connectivity on the renamed cards.
Regards

Reactions: bobbik
Hello
To discover the "real" name of NIC cards in your computer, look at /sys/class/net
This is useful when you upgrade from Proxmox 6 to 7 (so you change major Debian version) and some network card names changed !
You have to modify your /etc/network/interfaces file with the new network card names to recover network connectivity on the renamed cards.
Regards

The problem was The motherboard of my other server Die on me. I didn't know when moving it wouldn't see the new motherboard network card unless I put it in there manually. What I did to figure that out is i loaded ubuntu and got the network card infromation. Then I put back the proxmox harddrive after that I went into the network settings inputed the information in then I rebooted and it started to work.

Joseph

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!