Moving lxc image

jkalousek

Aug 28, 2016
So I'm unable to figure out, what should be simple operation.
I have setup ZFS raid 1 pool with some CT's. Now after some testing I want to move them to newly created ZFS sub file system (similar structure as https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage:_ZFS#Adding_ZFS_root_file-system_as_storage_with_Plugin except mine is not on local).
As far as I know there isn't any option for this in gui, but with cli I know how to move the container manually but how to reattach them back to vm?

Can anyone tell me how should this be done correctly, because I can't find anything about it on wiki.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I now know not exactly your situation but normaly it is enough to change the path in config like this:
Code:
rootfs: volume=v-machines:subvol-110-disk-1,size=8G
Code:
rootfs: volume=<newpaht:newfile>,size=8G
Sorry i don't know syntax of not ZFSsystems, but i think the line is the same. If necessary create a new lxc and look at this line.

I now know not exactly your situation but normaly it is enough to change the path in config like this:
Code:
rootfs: volume=v-machines:subvol-110-disk-1,size=8G
Code:
rootfs: volume=<newpaht:newfile>,size=8G
Sorry i don't know syntax of not ZFSsystems, but i think the line is the same. If necessary create a new lxc and look at this line.

So simply coping container to different location and changing config file of CT works - to certain degree.
Newly copied container will not aper in GUI, and in general Proxmox doesn't seam to know about this movement at all.

There is command "pct clone" but I can't find documentation for what options it actually takes.

Now I tried:

Code:
pct clone 102 101 -experimental true -storage vmContainer
(101 is not used)

and got error:
Code:
400 Parameter verification failed.
full: missing property - 'storage' requiers this property

What am I missing now?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!