Moving hardware

raj

Sep 17, 2011
www.businessparksolutions.com
Hi Team,

I have 1 proxmox server running with around 7 linux kvm and 5 windows kvm. I need to move them all to a newer hardware. What is the best and easiest way to do this please so that all the config of the kvm is moved over easily. All the vm storage is external on a nas.

Rajbps

I just had to do this recently - unfortunately the only way I was able to get things working after the migration was to completely re-install Proxmox from scratch. I couldn't work out for the life of me why network configurations weren't working. Followed the debian standards in terms of network configurations and it just wouldn't connect to my network, even though it was showing the correct IP address. Something to do with the virtual bridge system built into Proxmox. I suppose you could migrate your VMs manually. I use Veeam within the VMs for backups, so you can just restore images from there. One of the unfortunate downsides to Proxmox is the fact that things break badly when hardware is changed. I'm sure it might be possible if you have a very strong understanding of the internal workings of Proxmox networking (which I couldn't find much documentation on), but for non-experts its a bit of a nightmare. Good luck.

Edit: My thread on this matter is here, if anyone is able to provide examples on how to achieve a network hardware migration, it would be worthwhile to post there to help others who may come across issues: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/how-to-reset-networking-after-replacing-nic.38178/#post-199384

The last time I done this was a couple of years ago where I had to use the backup and restore of the vms but that can take a while. I also had to replace motherboard before and it was something in the network config file that needed changed. If I find that link, I put it there was on the forum itself. I wonder if there is another way apart from bacxkup and restore.

Rajbps

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!