Moving disk from one system into another

breakaway9000

Renowned Member
Dec 20, 2015
My current proxmox "server" is a very old i7-4770k, 32G and a z87-c motherboard. The system is running latest proxmox 7.2-3, full up to date as of posting and boots in UEFI mode (but no secure boot).

The "boot" volume is a 2.5" 60GB SATA SSD, and the server has a 2 TB NVMe drive which is used for lvm-thin VM data.

I got a Intel NUC11 i5 NUC to replace it: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...nuc-11-pro-kit-nuc11tnhi5/specifications.html

I took out the 2.5" volume and put it into my NUC, and moved the NVMe drive over as well. In the boot menu, I could see the UEFI Boot option on the 60GB SSD so I expected everything will be OK, and continued the boot.

However after the BIOS splash screen, I get a blank cursor as per the screenshot. It doesn't go any further.

Just wondering if there is anything I can do to fix this as it'd save me a lot of work over migrating my data over the "proper" way!

Attachments

• boot.jpg
    boot.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 8
Did you check, that secure boot is explicitly disabled on the new system?
Yes, I did. Infact on first boot I got an error about secure boot being enabled, so I went into the bios and disabled it.

I also tried manually targeting the bootloader to no avail.

Attachments

• photo_2022-05-09_23-04-54.jpg
    photo_2022-05-09_23-04-54.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 4

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!