Moving a volume group to another physical disk

RodinM

Aug 1, 2011
I'm trying to move a volume group to another physical storage issuing a command:
pvmove /dev/cciss/c0d8
and get an answer:
Physical Volume "/dev/cciss/c0d8" not found in Volume Group "VGONVD4"
But I am sure I created a physical volume using this device name like this:
pvcreate /dev/cciss/c0d8
And strange things: when I issue a command "pvscan" it shows me the following:
PV /dev/block/104:178 VG pve lvm2 [8.80 GB / 1.11 GB free]
PV /dev/block/104:480 VG VGONVD4 lvm2 [5.46 TB / 5.28 TB free]
PV /dev/block/104:97 VG VGONVD4 lvm2 [1.59 TB / 1.59 TB free]
not the disk labels (/dev/cciss/c0d8 and /dev/cciss/c0d6) I used by "pvcreate" command
I need to free up a disk with 5.46TB storage but what do these labels mean: /dev/block/104:* ?
When I'm trying to issue the "pvmove" command using the name "PV /dev/block/104:480" I see the same result:
Physical volume /dev/block/104 not found
Run `pvmove --help' for more information.
How should I treat these names of my disks and how should I move my VG to another (faster) disk (not using a long backup and restore procedure but online migration to another storage)?
Thanks in advance.

#vgchange -an VG
#pvcreate /dev/...

#vgextend VG /dev/...
#pvscan
#umount /...
#lvextend -l+100%FREE /dev/...
#resize2fs /dev/...
#vgchange -ay VG

No, no, no!
I think it is not a way to move the storage online!
I expect something with commands "pvmove" and "vgreduce"
The question was: which disk name should I use in these commands. I expected to use "pvmove /dev/cciss/c0d8", but now it must be something different.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!