Moved Proxmox Drives from Dead Server to New - now no Network.

OzzNixon

Dec 2, 2015
I have spent the last two days googling, everything is about the VM... but, my problem is the Host.

What file(s) do I need to change to make Proxmox (I think v2.3) work with new NICs?

My configuration from the old server, the interfaces file is very basic, like:

...vmbr0
...address info
...bridge eth0
...etc

I found, I needed to edit a file that stated which MAC address was eth0, etc. I changed eth0 and what was then eth2 and eth2 to eth0... now ifconfig shows the physical hardware of eth0 and vmbr0 shows same HWADDR and IP is showing again.

I do 'route' and everything is right - but, cannot ping 10.1.0.1, 8.8.8.8, etc. I edited 151.conf in hopes to just get the VM working (changed it's HWADDR for eth0 to eth0 - no luck)... so, now I bow my head down and ask - HELP. :D

Thanks for any assistance on getting this server back online!
Ozz

I have spent the last two days googling, everything is about the VM... but, my problem is the Host.

What file(s) do I need to change to make Proxmox (I think v2.3) work with new NICs?

My configuration from the old server, the interfaces file is very basic, like:

...vmbr0
...address info
...bridge eth0
...etc

I found, I needed to edit a file that stated which MAC address was eth0, etc. I changed eth0 and what was then eth2 and eth2 to eth0... now ifconfig shows the physical hardware of eth0 and vmbr0 shows same HWADDR and IP is showing again.

I do 'route' and everything is right - but, cannot ping 10.1.0.1, 8.8.8.8, etc. I edited 151.conf in hopes to just get the VM working (changed it's HWADDR for eth0 to eth0 - no luck)... so, now I bow my head down and ask - HELP. :D

Thanks for any assistance on getting this server back online!
Ozz
Hi,
perhaps an old arp-cache in your gateway?
Can you ping your gateway?
is "ip route" right?

If you look with tcpdump (like tcpdump -i eth0 -n) during an ping 8.8.8.8 you see the right things?

looks traceroute 8.8.8.8 right?

Udo

It's probably the udev rules. Try removing all the rules in your /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file and restart. An old rule referring to an old NIC will hold on to eth0 and start assigning eth numbers after that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!