[SOLVED] move Windows Hyper-V-VM to Proxmox

RockNLol

Sep 13, 2020
hi,
I'm trying to move a Windows Server 2016 VM from my old Hyper-V-Server (also running Server 2016) to my new Proxmox-setup. I pretty much followed this guide:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_10_guest_best_practices
Only difference being that I imported the old .vhdx-harddrive file instead of creating a new one. For that I used following command:
qm importdisk 101 /mnt/pve/server2016_VHDs/server2016.vhdx local-lvm --format qcow2

But I have some trouble with the BIOS. Using SeaBIOS it doesn't find a bootable device. Using OVMF Windows at least tries to boot (so it seems Hyper-V-Gen2-VMs are UEFI), but bluescreens with error code "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

Does anybody have an idea what the issue could be or what I could change?

Last edited:
hi,

could you post the VM configuration qm config VMID

Sure, there you go:

Code:
agent: 1

balloon: 0

bios: ovmf

boot: c

bootdisk: scsi0

cores: 4

memory: 1024

name: SERVER2016

net0: virtio=B2:06:A4:4E:44:65,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1,link_down=1

numa: 0

ostype: win10

parent: after_first_boot

scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci

smbios1: uuid=6783359e-2512-4358-9c11-4dd66e61412e

sockets: 1

virtio0: local-lvm:vm-101-disk-0,cache=writeback,discard=on,size=127G

vmgenid: f5f507e9-e25e-4259-9673-e38750af7933

bootdisk: scsi0 but where is scsi0 ? you have virtio0. maybe setting the bootdisk to that works?

Reactions: RockNLol
you can turn the VM offline and edit /etc/pve/qemu-server/101.conf in the command line

Reactions: RockNLol
setting the bootdisk to virtio0 does not even try to boot windows. The other way around, setting bootdisk: scsi0, does boot, but results in the same bluescreen.
Code:
qm config 101
agent: 1
balloon: 0
bios: ovmf
boot: c
bootdisk: scsi0
cores: 4
memory: 1536
name: DC01
net0: virtio=C2:06:E4:4E:99:65,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1,link_down=1
numa: 0
ostype: win10
parent: after_first_boot
scsi0: local-lvm:vm-101-disk-0,cache=writeback,discard=on,size=127G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=6783359e-2512-4358-9c11-4dd66e61412e
sockets: 1
vmgenid: 493a6a57-faa5-449b-948a-83d285989f43

But I did get it to boot, by attaching the harddrive as SATA device. The performance is terrible atm, but the hardware isn't too powerful, might be that.
I'm trying to install the VirtIO Drivers now, that could also be the problem right? No luck so far though, because I do not have a GUI for the installation on this particular Windows Server.

alright then. do you by any chance know, how to install them without gui on a Server 2016 Core installation?

*edit: I can installed all the drivers, but I think I need to put them into the boot-partition somehow. Still getting a bluescreen.

Last edited:
Is the performance loss significant, if I stay with SATA without VirtIO? It is the domain controller of my home server, so I don't expect a lot of IO. The second Windows VM I want to move is going to be gameserver for space engineers on occasion though, but I'm OK with setting this one up from scratch.

thanks for the reply! But what is this 1GB Virtio device? Sorry, I'm completely new to proxmox.

SUCCESS! Thank you so very much r.jochum! Worked exactly as you described.
At first I didn't really get the funky business with the 1GB VirtIO-Drive, but did it anyway, as you said. The spice guest installer did not want to start at first, but a quick check with diskpart revealed that the new VirtIO-drive was offline.

lis dis sel dis 1 online disk
... solved that. Afterwards the installer started and did its thing. When it finished I shut the VM down, deleted the 1GB disk and switched the main disk to SCSI on the VirtIO controller and it booted right away :)

Great that you could solve your problem! If you have a minute, it would be great if you could mark the thread as solved by editing your top post. This way others know what to expect.

There is also a short section about HyperV migrations in the wiki by the way.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!