Move VM using external disk

PaoloHolzl

Apr 27, 2023
Now the situation is that cannot administer a cluster node via web (one node give error).
I can enter into machine via ssh and VM of this node are active and functioning.
The filesytem is readonly so I cannot clone (freeze), also a
Code:
ls into /etc/pve
freeze.
So I will try to turn off a VM (and leave active other VM).
Via ssh move VM into an external disk and than remove it from this node.
Access via ssh to an other cluster node, move the VM into this node.
Is it possible to try this? Howto?

What is the storage behind the VMs located on the partitioned node?
Have you looked into why this node is partitioned? Check the output of "pvecm status", is network connectivity ok? Can you restart cluster services on the affected node?

The answer to your question depends on the underlying storage. If you are using shared storage, you could, through manual /etc/pve manipulation.
If storage is local, you need to potentially export the VM disks into qcow format, then move them along with config.
Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!