[SOLVED] Move VM to Different Cluster

cclloyd

Dec 4, 2018
If I want to move a VM from 1 cluster to another where the VM would need to have a different ID (because it is taken on the new cluster), how would I do that?

I tried doing a backup, renaming the backup to the new desired ID, then copying the VMID.conf to the new server and renaming it to NEWID.conf, then restoring it. But it seems that the new vm uses the old ID for the disk image in local-lvm, so the restore fails.

What would be the best way to go about moving a VM to a different cluster with a new ID?

How did you do the backup? Manually yourself? The build in backup tool would be the right choice. Make the backup file available on the new cluster and restore it. At restore you can define the storage and VMID and such

Last edited:
If I want to move a VM from 1 cluster to another where the VM would need to have a different ID (because it is taken on the new cluster), how would I do that?

I tried doing a backup, renaming the backup to the new desired ID, then copying the VMID.conf to the new server and renaming it to NEWID.conf, then restoring it. But it seems that the new vm uses the old ID for the disk image in local-lvm, so the restore fails.

What would be the best way to go about moving a VM to a different cluster with a new ID?
when you restore a backup , you can choose the targetid and storage too

#qmrestore <yourbackup.vma> <vmid> --storage <storage>

no need to edit the vmconfig file.

Thanks for he help. Worked using qmrestore but not from the gui for some reason.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!