move VM from ext4 (PVE1) to ZFS (PVE2)

PaulVM

Renowned Member
May 24, 2011
Hi,
Is there some fast way/tricks to move VMs from an old PVE 7.0 where they are stored as normale files to a new PVE 8.0 using ZFS (block evice)?
I suppose the simplier answer may be to use backup/restore, but I am searching for something like directly copy folder images because I have about 3 TB of VMs to transfer and I need to minimize the downtime.
In direct transfer I can have 6 Gbit (old PVE limit),
I have a PBS, but with a slow 1 Gbit connection.

I tried a dirty trick: created a Storage directory inside the ZFS disk and edited the vm conf file as needed.
It works, I can also then migrate the VM to another ZFS Storage (moved to another node of the cluster), but I am asking if tthere is some best options to achieve the same result and/or if this trick can create problems.

Thanks, P.

Time consuming ...
Sure... then you need a shared storage, e.g. NFS export from pve2 to pve1 and do a online disk migration and afterwards just shutdown the VM on pve1, copy the config to pve2, start and hope. Try with test clones first.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!