Move from 5.4 to 6.0

300cpilot

Mar 24, 2019
I would like to install 6.0 on a new larger server, then connect it to an existing cluster and move the existing containers/vm's to it and when complete remove the old servers from the cluster. Anyone had issues moving containers/vm's to the new version of Proxmox?

U want to live migrate the running vms to the new larger node?
I did an upgrade from 5.4 to 6 without any issues. I moved the disks from ceph storage to local. After upgrade to 6 and to ceph nautilus, i moved it back to ceph.
But i have not tested a cluster 5.4 with one node with pve6. It should work to move/migrate the vms/containers to the new large pve6 node.
How is your configuration for the disks of your vms/containers?

Just move them. They can be turned off. I am in the process of doing this now. All storage is ZFS at this point.

I have basically the same problem but without the complication of a cluster, i.e., just a single proxmox 5.4 node which I would like to move to new hardware and proxmox 6.0. Downtime is acceptable. The hardware is nearly the same, just a slightly faster CPU (same generation) and SSD storage instead of HDD.

What would be the best strategy? Would this work?
  1. Backup all VM/CT to a NAS
  2. Backup the config to the NAS (what exactly do I need here?)
  3. install pve 6.0 on new hardware
  4. add old config
  5. restore VM/CT from NAS?
The new server has identical

hi,
What would be the best strategy? Would this work?
  1. Backup all VM/CT to a NAS
  2. Backup the config to the NAS (what exactly do I need here?)
  3. install pve 6.0 on new hardware
  4. add old config
  5. restore VM/CT from NAS?
The new server has identical

yes that should work

Backup the config to the NAS (what exactly do I need here?)
if you're installing from scratch, just your guest configs in /etc/pve/lxc/ and /etc/pve/qemu-server and /etc/pve/storage.cfg should be enough

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!