Move CT to another Server?

Gad

Feb 28, 2019
Hi i am trying to move my CT to another Server but getting stuck

1. tried backup for the CT but i get IZO file and i cannot import IZO file to the new server (In GUI)
2. tried to create a template , again not sure what good this will do as i cannot start/copy or anything with a template

what is the correct way to move a CT from one Proxmox to another Proxmox?

hi,

if your hosts are clustered then you should be able to simply migrate it.

otherwise backup/restore. transfer the backup archive to your new host, and use it as a template to create a container (in the create wizard)

i cannot import IZO file to the new server (In GUI)
you just need to put it in a storage for it to be visible

Reactions: borekon
ok so what i did is to backup by GUI and transfer the file to /var/lib/vz/template/ on the new proxmox
now i can do restore great!!!

i guess its only missing from GUI ....

hi,

if your hosts are clustered then you should be able to simply migrate it.

otherwise backup/restore. transfer the backup archive to your new host, and use it as a template to create a container (in the create wizard)

you just need to put it in a storage for it to be visible
thank you i was in the middle of the reply when you replied :)

great!

please mark the thread [SOLVED] so others know what to expect

i guess its only missing from GUI ..

FYI you can go on the left menu, find the storage, go to 'Contents' and you should see an 'Upload' button

you can select 'Container template' for the filetype.

if it doesn't show up as an option, go to Datacenter -> Storage -> Edit -> Content

and enable container template.

select all filetypes while uploading.
then it should work

Reactions: Gad
I just worked on this for way too long... The CT that I backed up and moved to another Proxmox host needed to be under:

Code:
/var/lib/vz/template/cache

before it was seen. Possibly it also needs to be in .zst compression format, not sure as I also tried that for my final (and only successful) attempt. Just posted in case it helps anyone.

I just worked on this for way too long... The CT that I backed up and moved to another Proxmox host needed to be under:

Code:
/var/lib/vz/template/cache

before it was seen. Possibly it also needs to be in .zst compression format, not sure as I also tried that for my final (and only successful) attempt. Just posted in case it helps anyone.
Thomas,
I followed the directions and like you had an issue getting the container to be seen. I have a zpool setup for container templates since I use a 64G USB key for Proxmox OS. I made sure all file types were selected under Datacenter->Storage->templates. Templates points to zpool /zones/lxc/templates. Since you can not get rid of local I deselected all file types associated with local except for Snippets. When I created a back-up of the container I selected lzo as the compression. I could not get this to be seen. I decompressed and then compressed using zst and it was seen and I was able to create the container on the new system. Hope this helps anyone else.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!