Move Backup datastore from one ProxMox Backup Server to a new one

May 6, 2021
Bern, Switzerland
Sorry, I'm sure that this question has been answered but I'm perhaps to stupid for google or search.

How exactly is the recommended way to move from one PBS to a new one?
As I think to understand:
  1. Given ProxMox PVE are using PBS-OLD : DataStore-OLD
  2. Setup: PBS-NEW
  3. Create a Datastore on PBS-NEW ending in PBS-NEW : DataStore-NEW
  4. Sync (either through GUI or through shell)
    • on PBS-NEW add the PBS-OLD to "Remotes"
    • on PBS-NEW set up a sync job (pull the Backups from PBS-OLD : DataStore-OLD to PBS-NEW : DataStore-NEW)
  5. If Sync is done, Remove the PBS-OLD : DataStore-OLD from the PVE and add PBS_NEW : DataStore-NEW to PVE?
  6. Change the Backup-Jobs on the PVE to point to the new storage?
Or is it better/easier to just change the properties of the existing datastore on PVE with pvesm?

Got some Terabytes to move and we don't want to mess or annoy the support (we're paying customers).

hi,

looks good.
the recommended way is via remote sync on PBS, and afterwards you can change the settings for your PVE to point to the new PBS.

Reactions: Jackobli
hi,

looks good.
the recommended way is via remote sync on PBS, and afterwards you can change the settings for your PVE to point to the new PBS.
Thank you, worked well. But we were in a hurry and on some machines, the new backup already took place on the new PBS. So the old backups couldn't be synced.
Tried to fumble around with rsync and took a zfs snap before (to my good) on the new storage. I was unsuccessful and needed to rollback.
Now I have the old pbs for several machines for restore only until the retention time is due. What is acceptable.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!