Mounting HFS drives

J

jfontana

I have tried to mount an external drive formatted as HFS doing:

$ mount -t hfsplus /dev/sda1 /mnt/macdrive

I get the following error message:

mount: unknown filesystem type 'hfsplus'

I use Ubuntu on a different computer and while the disk is not writable at least I can mount it and read from it. Does anybody know what the problem might be? Thanks.

JM

install the hfsplus tools.

Code:
aptitude install hfsplus

I have no mac drive here but I assume this will help.

Hi Tom,

Thanks. Following your advice, I did that but I'm still getting the error message:

mount: unknown filesystem type 'hfsplus'

Apparently I'm not the only one with this problem. I have done some googling and I see many postings where people say that this happens because HFS+ is not included in the kernel build.

I did # grep _HFS /boot/config-*

And indeed apparently HFS is not included since I get this result:

CONFIG_NET_SCH_HFSC=m
# CONFIG_HFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_HFSPLUS_FS is not set

This goes beyond me. How does one change the kernel from the Proxmox installation?

Josep M.

Last edited by a moderator:
seems that the kernel module is missing, pls file a bug/request at bugzilla.proxmox.com

Filed. Thanks!

Until it gets fixed, would there any way for me to install this module in the current kernel without breaking things? I've done a bit of googling but I haven't found any useful help.

JM

Filed. Thanks!

Until it gets fixed, would there any way for me to install this module in the current kernel without breaking things? I've done a bit of googling but I haven't found any useful help.

JM

try it and test it. then you will see the results.

Sorry Tom, I don't understand what you are telling me. Try and test what? If you are talking about the hfsplus module, I haven't been able to find it anywhere. I downloaded and installed a binary called 'hfsplus_1.0.4-12_amd64.deb' that was linked in one of the forums discussing this issue but this didn't fix anything.

JM

Last edited by a moderator:
I meant you can compile a kernel with module enabled, but this is a demanding task.

I see. Thanks. I'll see if I can find some good instructions on how to do this and I can try to do it.

JM

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!