Mounting Data HD without Reformatting

SawKyrom

Jun 3, 2021
I'm new to Proxmox and could use some advice on a simple task: I would like to access a media HD physically installed in Proxmox server by TrueNAS VM or ANY VM.

I've found plenty of threads on adding new/unused HD, but I do not want to reformat and destroy existing data as many threads illustrate with fdisk commands. I've attempted to do PCI passthrough and edited the grub file to include intel_iommu=on as well as the appropriate /etc/modules.

Screenshot (82).png
When I add the PCI SATA controller (Intel C602 chipset 4-Port SATA Storage Control Unit) to TrueNAS VM hardware, the server goes into a boot loop requiring me to edit out iommu in the grub file and then remove the PCI hardware from the proxmox vm.

Screenshot (78).pngAll the HD are listed in Proxmox node Disks (image 1) but I don't have access to any of them in the VMs.

Screenshot (70).png

Is is not possible to simply add an existing media drive to Proxmox/TrueNAS without reformatting the HD? If there is a thread or any advice, it would be much appreciated.

My setup is HP z420 Xeon E5-1650 32 GB ECC RAM, Proxmox bare metal with TrueNAS/Manjaro/HA VM.

Thank you all!

Attachments

• Screenshot (70).png
    Screenshot (70).png
    91.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot (77).png
    Screenshot (77).png
    53.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot (78).png
    Screenshot (78).png
    98.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
When I add the PCI SATA controller (Intel C602 chipset 4-Port SATA Storage Control Unit) to TrueNAS VM hardware, the server goes into a boot loop requiring me to edit out iommu in the grub file and then remove the PCI hardware from the proxmox vm.
probably because the root disk is also on that sata controller?

if i understand you correctly you want to give a whole disk to a vm? if yes, look here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Passthrough_Physical_Disk_to_Virtual_Machine_(VM)

Thanks for the reply and advice. I have 4 data HDs on the 4-Port SATA controller, not the primary boot drive. I was hoping that passing the controller through to the specific VM (i.e. TrueNAS) would allow access to all HD on that controller. I struggled after several attempts and could not get it to work as planned. Ultimately, the only working option was to add each individual HD as detailed in the link you recommended.

Solution summary: Do not attempt controller pass through for HD access/control but rather add each individual HD to the VM using the referenced link: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Passthrough_Physical_Disk_to_Virtual_Machine_(VM)

Thanks again for the advice.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!