[SOLVED] Mount older CIFS storage from WebUI

martin.g

Renowned Member
Apr 22, 2013
SOLVED: see Edit2

Hi,

I have to mount an older CIFS storage (v1.x or 2.x) with PVE 5.1-3. Is it possible to pass the version field somehow to the connect string with the WebGUI? I already tried USERNAME,vers=2.0 as username field, but it is passed this way. A workaround to use older versions with the connect field would be enough for me.

Regards
Martin

Edit: the -options Option from nfs would be great. I can set it with command line:
pvesm set backupserver -options vers=2.0
but it can not be parsed after that:
file /etc/pve/storage.cfg line 12 (section 'backupserver') - unable to parse value of 'options': unexpected property 'options'

Edit2: Sorry, missed the smbversion Option in commandline. I can add the share with the webgui as disabled, then:
pvesm set backupserver -smbversion 2.0
pvesm set backupserver -disable 0
Would be great for future releases if the version could also be passed when creating a CIFS storage.

Last edited:
Hi,

Version 1 is outdated(unsecure) and not supported.
Version 2 you can set in the config or with the command line tool pvesm add

Reactions: martin.g
Yes, I already realized that there also exists an option "smbversion", see Edit2. I completely missed that.
As mentioned in Edit2, it would be great if we could pass this smbversion option with the webgui.

Would be great for future releases if the version could also be passed when creating a CIFS storage.
It can be passed on the command line.
The default in the Windows and Linux world is SMB3,
so if you have an old box than it is not standart and has nothing to do with the GUI.

Well, I´m a developer, too. So I know this "works as designed", "not a bug but a feature", "no standard but workaround possible" very good, using it regularly.
The point is: Does it hurt? Does it have any disadvantages to have an additional field or dropdown in the UI? I can´t think of any. And perhaps in future there will even be another CIFS version that won´t be standard everywhere.

But I also don´t want to argue and have a solution for me now. Addtionally the mount of the Mikrotik router with attached USB HDD as external backup is just a temporarily solution.
So you can think about the option once again, but you don´t have to :)
I´m happy with the cmd option for now.

Regards
Martin

Nice try. Did you ever see the error message trying to access an old CIFS server? There is nothing about simple in it.
Saw the reason (wrong bersion) of the error message in the server console by chance hours after I gave up the connection for the moment.

You already implemented such nice features for good usability neither confusing the user nor reducing his possibilities: Advanced tab during creation of VMs, grey predefined values for storage replication and so on.
Why not use those mechanisms?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!