Mount NFS share in a Proxmox host from self TrueNAS VM

Helio Mendonça

Apr 10, 2019
Hi
It is possible to mount a NFS share in a Proxmox host from a TrueNAS VM running inside the same Proxmox?
At the moment Proxmox boots the TrueNAS still does not exist so I can not do it then using fstab, but what about mounting the NFS share a few minutes later?
For that I could start a little script triggered by the TrueNAS start up but I wonder if this could be done in a different way?
The reason for needing this?
I am currently using rclone to backup periodically all my VMs and containers to a OneDrive remote share but I would like to keep the last backup locally in my TrueNAS.
Regards

Maybe a crontab entry with "@reboot" that starts a bash script and that script checks if the NFS share is up and running and then runs a "mount" command?

Or you could go to "Datacenter -> Storage -> Add -> NFS" and create a NFS storage so PVE will monitor that share and mount it when available.

Reactions: Helio Mendonça
Or you could go to "Datacenter -> Storage -> Add -> NFS" and create a NFS storage so PVE will monitor that share and mount it when available.

I though on that but I was afraid that after the first mount error (since the TrueNAS VM was still not running) it would not try again.
But from your reply, you are saying that Proxmox will keep trying to mount that NFS share, right?

I though on that but I was afraid that after the first mount error (since the TrueNAS VM was still not running) it would not try again.
But from your reply, you are saying that Proxmox will keep trying to mount that NFS share, right?
Not totally sure (can't test it right know because my servers are in maintaince) but I think it should. PVE checks the shares several times per minute to update storage space left and check availability. As PVE also mounts it I would wonder if PVE wouldn't try to mount it when it sees that the share isn't mounted yet.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!